November 13, 2012

Butternut Squash Rice & Barley Risotto

I saw butternut squash the other day in the supermarket and never having
really cooked with it before... I decided I wanted to make some butternut squash
rice and barley risotto. I started by cutting the squash into small little cubes.
I took 1 cup of  rice and barley (about 3/4 cup long grain sticky rice rather
than the typical arborio rice for risotto and 1/4 cup of flat barley)
I used 2 cups of chicken stock and simmered the rice/barley mixture
for a good 25-30 minutes while adding the butternut squash
around minute 15 or so...


You'll need to stir fairly constantly and definitely keep your eye on this one.
After 35 minutes or so- when the rice/barley is cooked all the way---
add some salt and 1/4 cup of heavy cream (butter-optional)
That's pretty much all I did to this butternut squash rice and barley risotto.
I added some fresh cracked black pepper at the end.
It actually tasted pretty good for having made this dish for the first time.
It was great eating this side dish with some blackened chicken!




Zestfully, Let's Cultivate Food