April 29, 2013

Mixed Mushroom Salad

Although growing up I didn't favor mushrooms too much, I do enjoy all sorts now.
I made a mixed sauteed mushroom salad the other night and it was Balsamic, full-flavored
and herbaceous.

                            

I diced 1 medium sized onion and grated in 2 garlic cloves and sauteed them in some butter.


While they were heating up in the pan on medium high--
I washed and sliced up some shiitake mushrooms, baby portabellas, 
one pack of enoki mushrooms and some oyster mushrooms.

There is a myth that you shouldn't wash mushrooms. Again, there is a myth.
If I'm using them right away-- I usually give a quick rinse and squeeze them
in a clean kitchen towel or a paper towel.  If you are going to not use them
right away-- I do not recommend washing them. It is better to store them in
the refrigerator unwashed. They will last longer and not be water logged. 



I simply added the marvelous mushrooms into the pan once the onions had caramelized.
I added about a TBSP of Balsamic Vinegar along with chopped up herbaceous thyme.
I had some fresh figs on hand that were rich in their ripeness so I simply cut them in half 
and added them to the mixed mushroom salad. The mixed sauteed mushrooms
were put on top of a bed of sliced romaine lettuce. The salad was not heavy even though
I used a spoonful of butter to saute the mushrooms. The blend of garlic, butter, balsamic 
vinegar and thyme gave the mushrooms a seasoned and flavorful taste that you don't
even need salad dressing to put on the lettuce.




Zestfully, Let's Cultivate Food