February 9, 2014

The BBB Salad

With all the snow we've acquired in the past few weeks-
I recall seeing a AAA truck helping someone who was stuck
in the snow on the side of I-476 the other week
and strangely thinking back at that is what made me
unofficially name this salad the BBB salad.

BBB because the main ingredients are:
Blueberry,  pork Belly and Baby kale.
I know, its a stretch when the 'kale' and 'pork'
are more important than the 'belly' and 'baby' aspect of it.



I think salads can be quite satisfying because we are able to create
so many different combinations and we can use our favorite items-
we can appropriately change the salad pretty much
every time we eat one.  YAY!

Today, for lunch I wanted to make a simple salad but not just
a plain garden salad which is healthy but can be tiring and boring as well.

I started the BBB salad with the base of 4 leaves of Romaine lettuce
and 3 hearty handfuls of Baby kale. I enjoyed the baby kale more than
the mature kale (often associated with kale chips) frankly,
because it was more tender and not as sharp in taste.

The other goodies were:
half a cucumber sliced,
1/4 of an orange bell pepper diced,
1/4 of a pint of blueberries,
about 10 snow peas sliced into small bite sizes,
2 eggs hard boiled,
leftover Chinese take-out noodles,
pork belly sauteed til crispy in soy sauce, pepper paste, sugar and garlic powder,




Oh, and the dressing was Olive oil Italian Dressing. Quite often the best way to have
certain meats is to have them marinaded- and salads can be the same,
if you take a dressing and use either tongs or I like to use those throw away gloves
and toss the dressing with my hand- it ALWAYS tastes better rather than just pouring
the salad dressing on top.  What are some of your favorite things to put in a salad?

In Home Cooking Class Philadelphia area
Trying to stay healthy,  Let's Cultivate Food